The website created to tell the story of Kenfig & its surrounding villages from prehistoric times to the present day.
The original town hall of Kenfig was located nearer the medieval town itself; however, a will of a former Portreeve of Kenfig dated 1605 indicates that the burgesses of Kenfig were raising money towards the building of a new town hall. The new town hall’s erection marked the removal of the town of Kenfig from Maudlam (This is where it had been re-established following the abandonment of the old town) to the site of the new village.
It’s presently debatable whether the original building once stood on pillars with intervening arches with the ground floor serving as a meeting place and market. The Town Hall was the venue for both the Borough and Manorial Courts – inquests were also held here as the Portreeve was also the Borough Coroner.
Brief History of the Inn
The Inn itself dates from around the 15th century, its location within the ancient Borough of Kenfig being both of historical and commercial value to the locality throughout the ages. Previously called Ty Newydd (New House) Tavern, yet renamed in its present form during the late 18th century in honour of George, Prince of Wales, who, in 1820 was crowned George IV.
The Inn itself is the present Townhall which replaced the old guild hall of the ancient Borough of Kenfig which once stood in the old medieval town and is the focal point of the Borough both within its present and former transitions.
The building faced eastward and overlooked the old highway – Y Lane Fach (The Little Lane) around the year 1602. Sometimes also called ‘The Corporation’, the Inn was rebuilt in 1808 with its first floor room remaining of significant historical importance within the Borough. This was the guild hall, now known as the town hall and is accessed via an external stairway to the main building. Its long room has been in continuous usage for centuries and it was within this very room that the Burgesses exercised their rights granted by the Kenfig charters.
It was here that they held their own courts, controlled trade, established commercial and public behaviour standards and enforced sanitation regulations. The festival of Gwyl Mabsant (Dancing Festival) was held in this upper room and on many occations it has also serverd as a mortuary for shipwrecked mariners. A Griffith Jones circulating school was held here between 1739 and 1740 and up until recently has been the home of a Sunday school for over 130 years. The Trustees of the Kenfig Corporation Property who own the building continue to hold their meetings here in the town hall.
Learn more… http://www.kenfig.org.uk/history/prince-kenfig
Kenfig Times, Kenfig Hill Times, Cornelly Times, Cefn Times, Pyle Times, Porthcawl Times, Cornelly History
Copyright © 2003-2015
Kenfig.org Local Community Group. All rights reserved.